Thursday, February 7, 2008

mishenichnas adar marbim b'simcha...hopefully

So I went to Caesarea today and saw the Roman ruins. Man, the days when they had gladiator fights and chariot races--that's what it's all about. The Mediterranean is pretty great too. I do miss the ocean living in J-Ru (Aurora and I have, Bay Area style, taken to calling Jerusalem that). The rest was pretty touristy and we had to eat overpriced food, but such is life.

Ulpan is still long and boring--five hours of Hebrew every day can really eat you up. To be fair, though, I am learning stuff, and the teachers are nice and I like some of the people in my ulpan. I joined a gym, but not to use the gym stuff, more so I can take lots of yoga and dance and use the sauna. Last weekend we celebrated Aryeh's 21st birthday with a board game about his life.

The weather has been sunny and pretty nice as of late, so I hope that keeps up. It sure beats the bitter cold. I've been enjoying some rather Israeli delights such as halva spread, 3% milk, yummy pomegranates and dates, and marzipan shaped like challah (I know, amazing, right?). The classes I'm hoping I get are a class on environmental policy in the Middle East, a class on the architecture of Jerusalem, and an internship class where you meet twice a week to learn about the sociology of the workplace and then do 8 hours per week of the internship. I either want to work at the center for autistic kids or do this sociology project interviewing Palestinian teens in J-Ru. In the words of dear old Theodor Herzl, im tirtzu, ein zo agadah. If you will it, it is no dream. Ah yes.

Some places I'd like to visit in the upcoming weeks: Tzfat, Abu Ghosh, Beit Jaan, Haifa, Tel Aviv, Akko, Ein Gedi. If you have any must-dos let me know.

No comments: