Sunday, March 9, 2008

city streets and kibbutz quiet

I really want to start this off by saying something obvious: I HATE THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT. It is really one of the most tragic and stupid things going on in this world right now. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE. Stop the hatred and the anger and the racism and the...I don't even know. It's just such a mess. It sure puts people on edge here, I can tell you that. Okay. But enough.

I spent the weekend in Tel Aviv with my family there. It involved lots of delicious food, of course (one of my cousin's wives is Brazilian and she made flan!), good company, spending the day on the kibbutz Sde Yoav and seeing the wonderful cows, going out on the town with my cousin Tom and his friends, walking on the tayelet (the promenade) by the beach at night, nargila in old Yafo (that's Jaffa),a swanky Asian restaurant that you can't get over here in Jerusalem, and mostly a lot of pleasant weather and relaxation. Basically it's really key to get away for the weekend and being with family is so nice.

My classes are in full swing now. I put in eight hours a week working with autistic 5th-grade boys in a school near Hebrew University. They have their own class but the school itself is integrated. The boys are all very challenging and intense but lovable. Hebrew is getting easier and easier, and I really like architecture of Jerusalem and environmental science of the Middle East. Next week we're starting our Jerusalem field trips for architecture class. Outside of school I always enjoy my yoga/pilates/dance classes. It's starting to get mad warm here. Today was "hamsin," i.e. hot and a bit humid.

Happy exciting news: for the first week of spring break I'm going to Greece! I'll be staying with my good friend Rory from school. We're going to try and go to a smaller island for the weekend and then I'll spend the week exploring Athens and hopefully beyond too. Crazy crazy!

No comments: