Monday, November 5, 2007

drak

This weekend I got to fly a kite...drak. I went to the top of a hill on Smichov where lots of other people were gathered flying their draku, and the sky was foggy and white, and the drak flew till it got caught in some bramblebushes, and all the trees were so red and yellow and brown and green (cervene, zlate, zeleny).
I ate at a vegetarian Indian buffet restaurant and drank at Meduza, filled with smoke and lively chatter.
I drank Kofola for the first time, the Czech answer to Coke. It's sort of spicy and full of caffeine and you can buy it at cafes on tap, like beer. Kofola was created during Communism when Coke was hard to come buy and was created with surplus caffeine gleaned from the production of instant coffee.
I also made palacinky with tvaroh (cottage cheese) and povidla (prune preserves). Mmmmmmmmm.
My host family, except for Petr, just came back from Rome. I wonder if they ran into the pope?
I have been meeting with the person who will be my advisor for my independent study project. Her name is Petra Mullerova and she is a professor of Vietnamese studies. Extremely intense and smart.
The Vietnamese are the third largest minority population in the Czech Republic, having arrived during the 70s and 80s for several reasons. More on this topic later, as it will be consuming me for the next several weeks.
This week: three exams and two projects due. Ouch. Domaci ukol.

No comments: