Wednesday, December 26, 2007

going back in time (literally and figuratively)

I haven't updated in quite some time and many travels have ensued since then, so here goes--

My last days in Praha were too short but wonderful; I went back to Petrin and finally got to go up the the pseudo Eiffel tower and into the mirror labyrinth, and also finally went to the castle and saw some of its innards. I got to bake vanocka, the Czech braided Christmas bread studded with raisins and almonds--DELICIOUS. My host family made me a good-bye party, which was very sweet. They baked my absolute favorite, palacinky with tvaroh (pancakes with cottage cheese and also marmalade) and we exchanged holiday gifts and all played cards together. I miss them already.

I flew to England rather early on a Sunday morning and proceeded to take a very nice coach bus to OXFORD where I was met by my dear friend Gwen who is studying at Wadham (one of the colleges at Oxford) for the year. We went back to her flat, a very lovely flat, where we met another dear friend Sarah. The next day I got a grand tour of the city (village? town?) of Oxford, which is old and beautiful. First was the Botanical Gardens, which are enchanted and make you feel like you're in The Secret Garden. We went into Wadham to see the grounds and the cathedral and the "lingering tree," a tree you are not allowed to linger under, so naturally everyone does. I walked around the Bodleian Library, had a cream tea, went into St. Mary's cathedral and explored Blackwell's Booksellers. For dinner it had to be something quintessentially British, so we went to the kebab place. (Yes, kebab places have truly supplanted fish and chips as Britain's late-night food of choice.)

The next day another dear friend, Abby, arrived from Manchester and we did some more exploring of the town, mostly going to Christchurch college, the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland as well as Hogwarts, and stopped at the Wadham pub, the King's Arms. The day was finished off with a bang with high tea, which involves scones, clotted cream, jam, cucumber sandwiches, cake, and of course, tea. Tres elegante. Alas, I had to leave early the next morning, but I would definitely like to go back to England someday and explore more...London, Canterbury, Stonehenge, York...

I went back to California for a short few days and am now in lush and tropical Kauai with the family. I'll be back in California in time for New Year's. Next semester: the Middle East!

No comments: